Even a short conversation can have a significant impact on your life,particularly when a person with great experience and knowledge is involved in it. This is about such a life-changing conversation I had yesterday.
I had promised myself that before the end of these holidays, I would try to know and explore myself better. Hence , I approached the Counselling Centre of St Xaviers college. I gave the Preference test and Career interest test there. Father Terry, the Director of counselling centre conducted it and he had called me yesterday for the evaluation’s discussion .
Initially he explained me the results of Career Interest Inventory and Personality Evaluation, he stated clearly, the results just show what your interests and preferences are, the results are just the compilation of what you are totally as a person. The counselling session gave me many lessons and moments to cherish . I am trying to narrate some of them, some of the golden words:
- Confusion is not a problem: It’s human nature to be confused. We may like something now,but dislike it sometime later. We are confused about our choices, decisions, and it’s a very common dialogue, “I am confused in life”.Well ,it’s just normal and nothing bad about it.
- Don’t feel inferior to others: Love and respect yourself.You may not be perfect,neither be good in everything. Every one has their own capabilities and talents.
- Don’t Be Positive,Be Realistic !!: In contrary to the usually preached sayings and proverbs , like ” Always Be positive”, “Be Optimistic always”, Father believes it’s better to be realistic. Life will not always be good to you,there are ups and downs. Be prepared for the bad times. Accept failures, moreover, be practical. If we always keep thinking JUST positively, we may end up living in a hypothetical world where everything is good.
- Be Respectful: Care and respect not only yourself, but others too. Respect every’s individual’s opinion. All suggestions/opinions may not please you, but you may get some useful information too.
- Be Assertive: In your behavior and communication, be assertive. Feel free to express your feelings, know your rights, and control your anger. Don’t repress, but talk in a reasonable manner.
- Make Mistakes: One of the ending words of the conversation “Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, You will learn something from them “.
I am glad I had the opportunity to meet him, and discuss my views with him too. I will try to bring the necessary changes in my life. The conversation must have lasted around 20 minutes,in those 20 minutes I learnt many things; This proves Experience matters a lot.
Either you will be happily successful or unhappily successful ,it’s upon you,to choose your way . There is nothing like happily unsuccessful, because if you are happy, your life is a success indeed. 🙂
-Straight From My Heart ,